U.S. and China reportedly working on a deal to save ZTE

Release time:2018-05-23
author:Ameya360
source:TechCrunch
reading:1021

The United States and China are said to be working on a deal that would keep ZTE from going out of business. According to the Wall Street Journal, the two countries have agreed on a “broad outline” of a deal to settle a trade dispute sparked when the Commerce Department banned American companies from selling to ZTE for seven years after it violated sanctions against Iran and North Korea.

U.S. and China reportedly working on a deal to save ZTE

If the deal goes through, the U.S. would lift the ban. In return, ZTE would have to make major leadership changes and also potentially face heavy fines. The deal would enable its business to survive, however, since many of its most important suppliers, including Qualcomm, are American and the ban has the potential to cause irreversible damage to its business. ZTE is also the fourth-largest vendor of mobile phones in the U.S.

As part of the deal, China reportedly offered to remove tariffs that impact billions of dollars in U.S. farm products, though one of the WSJ’s sources said “the White House was meticulous in affirming that the case is a law enforcement matter and not a bargaining chip in negotiations.”

Talk of the deal isn’t a complete surprise. Earlier this month, President Donald Trump tweeted that “President Xi of China, and I, are working together to give massive Chinese phone company, ZTE, a way to get back into business, fast.” He was met with backlash from officials and lawmakers concerned that the administration is softening its stance in trade negotiations with China. The Chinese government had reportedly demanded that the U.S. roll back sanctions against ZTE as a prerequisite for continuing trade talks, which stalled last month (though the countries agreed yesterday to continue).

White House economic adviser Larry Kudlow told CNBC yesterday that ZTE is “not going to get off scot-free” and that it still faces fines, “very severe compliance measures, a new board of directors, a new management team.”

("Note: The information presented in this article is gathered from the internet and is provided as a reference for educational purposes. It does not signify the endorsement or standpoint of our website. If you find any content that violates copyright or intellectual property rights, please inform us for prompt removal.")

Online messageinquiry

reading
China's ZTE loses major German mobile contract
Chinese telecoms giant ZTE lost its biggest contract in Germany, network provider Telefonica on Friday said, as resistance mounts across the West to Beijing's infrastructure manufacturers. ZTE's contract to maintain mobile operator O2's network, which is owned by Spain's Telefonica, "will come to an end as planned at the end of the year," said a spokesman for the German firm, confirming a report from business daily Handelsblatt. In an interview with the newspaper, Telefonica Deutschland chief executive Markus Haas held back from criticising ZTE over quality problems that have plagued O2's integration of its network with competitor E-Plus over the past four years. In future it will work with a much smaller German firm, Dortmund-based GfTD, rather than ZTE, he said. Maintenance of masts and other infrastructure that makes mobile networks run is a "local service", Haas explained. Also according to Handelsblatt, ZTE is looking to score a new big German contract with network provider United Internet as the country gears up to auction licences for upcoming 5G mobile internet frequencies. The next-generation technology is expected to form the backbone of future applications like automated driving that could reshape the economy in the coming decades. ZTE declined to comment on the report when contacted by AFP. The Chinese firm's woes in Germany follow British telecoms group BT's announcement this month that it would move away from equipment provided by rival Huawei in its mobile network. Huawei has been singled out by Western leaders for its alleged links to Chinese intelligence services. The US government officially asked telecoms operators not to buy the firm's products early this year. (AFP) KUN KUN
2018-12-17 00:00 reading:1169
China's ZTE sees heavy losses in H1 due to U.S. penalty
ZTE shares surge 22% as US sanctions lift moves step closer
Shares in Chinese telecoms equipment maker ZTE surged more than 20 percent in Hong Kong on Thursday after the company moved a step closer to having a painful US purchase ban lifted.The firm had been forced to halt operations and was on the verge of collapse after Washington announced a seven-year ban on US companies selling it crucial parts owing to its handling of a sanctions violation.However, as a favour to Chinese President Xi Jinping, US President Donald Trump ordered the Commerce Department to ease the penalties and replace it with an order to pay a $1 billion fine and put $400 million in an escrow account to cover any future penalties for violations.It was also ordered to replace its board of directors and retain outside monitors.On Wednesday ZTE signed an escrow agreement, meaning the sanctions could be lifted as soon as Thursday.The news sent shares in the firm soaring 22.08 percent in Hong Kong to HK$13.60 by the break. Still, it is sharply down from the HK$25.60 it was at before trading was suspended after the sanctions were announced in April.ZTE was pushed to the brink by the initial penalty, which came after US officials said it had failed to take action against staff who were responsible for violating trade sanctions against Iran and North Korea. It was fined $1.2 billion last year for those violations.Trump's decision to step in was seen as an olive branch by the president as trade war tensions started to mount, making it a key element in the spat between Washington and Beijing.However, despite the agreement US lawmakers are working to reinstate the ban, accusing Trump rewarding a company that has repeatedly broken US law and engaged in espionage.
2018-07-13 00:00 reading:1231
ZTE taps in-house executive as new CEO
  • Week of hot material
  • Material in short supply seckilling
model brand Quote
MC33074DR2G onsemi
CDZVT2R20B ROHM Semiconductor
BD71847AMWV-E2 ROHM Semiconductor
TL431ACLPR Texas Instruments
RB751G-40T2R ROHM Semiconductor
model brand To snap up
ESR03EZPJ151 ROHM Semiconductor
TPS63050YFFR Texas Instruments
IPZ40N04S5L4R8ATMA1 Infineon Technologies
BP3621 ROHM Semiconductor
STM32F429IGT6 STMicroelectronics
BU33JA2MNVX-CTL ROHM Semiconductor
Hot labels
ROHM
IC
Averlogic
Intel
Samsung
IoT
AI
Sensor
Chip
About us

Qr code of ameya360 official account

Identify TWO-DIMENSIONAL code, you can pay attention to

AMEYA360 weixin Service Account AMEYA360 weixin Service Account
AMEYA360 mall (www.ameya360.com) was launched in 2011. Now there are more than 3,500 high-quality suppliers, including 6 million product model data, and more than 1 million component stocks for purchase. Products cover MCU+ memory + power chip +IGBT+MOS tube + op amp + RF Bluetooth + sensor + resistor capacitance inductor + connector and other fields. main business of platform covers spot sales of electronic components, BOM distribution and product supporting materials, providing one-stop purchasing and sales services for our customers.

Please enter the verification code in the image below:

verification code